Monday, August 16, 2010

Compost Bin

This is a compost bin that my lovely and talented wife made.





materials for our compost bin: only the chicken wire was bought expressly for this project. Most of the wood is from a taken-apart boxspring, and the rest is scrap wood we had and taken-apart bean poles



here I am using some cross-pieces temporarily, to hold up the corner posts, so that I can wrap the chicken wire (unruly stuff!!!!) around them.



with chicken wire around 3 sides. The fourth side, facing front, is the opening/door



I decided to keep the temporary cross-pieces. Here I'm adding the side cross-pieces on the outside of the chicken wire.


 

as you can see, this "temporary" cross-piece is not square. I was going to keep it but the crookedness of it was annoying me so much that I scrapped it.



I put cross-pieces on the top and bottom, which I hadn't originally intended to do.


 

the door. A bit different than my original design, but well...



I had to install the door "inside out" since that is the way it fit best. Unfortunately, that means that the chicken wire ends (prickly) are on the outside of the door. I tried to fold them in. Here are the hinges (I had planned on 3 originally).


 

latches and eyeholes, and also an additional piece of wood on top of the prickly chicken wire at least on the side where you open the latches.


 


 ta-da! finished. My original design had diagonal reinforcement pieces on the 3 sides and door, but it is quite sturdy and doesn't need them. (I was also kind of tired/hot by this point)


A clean compost bin would be an ideal "time-out" box!



in its final location.

1 comment: