Saturday, January 9, 2010

Looking for Locally grown meat


Since the Blog is suppose to be about my families quest for increased sustainability and I have yet to write about that I think I should have at least one post a month about it. We are trying to use less resources and the ones that we do use we want to use more wisely. We are trying to eat a more local diet, to buy things only made in the US or other countries were we have a good reason to believe that the people producing the products were treated fairly (by being fairly treated I mean they are treated how I expect to be treated). We are having difficulty finding locally grown, humanely raised meat. When we belonged to our previous CSA we could get chicken from them but they have closed down their CSA (we have ordered half a hog from them that should be ready sometime in the spring). What I mean by humanely treated is that they are treated with the same amount of respect that any of Gods other creatures deserve. I find it ironic that people get so upset and demand criminal charges be brought against someone kicking a dog but the food animals that they regularly consume are treated much worse. Most animals in CAFO's (Concentrated, Animal, Feeding, Operations) are treated with less respect than the inmates at Auschwitz were.

We get our vevegetables from Grow Alabama which is an organization that buys produce from local small farmers and then sales it to individuals. This enables us to both support Alabama farmers and helps remove us from the cocorporate food chain. If you have noticed I haven't mentioned organic, I do want organic food raised in the traditional methods that my Grand and Great-Grand parents used but this is of less importance to me, than insuring that my money goes to help a real farmer and not into some multinational CEO's bonus check. I believe that Eisenhower's warning of the most dangerous enemy that our country faces is the industrial complex that we created. The recent finical bailouts of large corporate banks and the auto industry ( these were done both under the Bush and Obama administration) while providing little to no relief to the individual citizen is a perfect example of how the money from corporate lobbyist controls both political parties and is threatening to take over both the tea party movement (on the right) and the progressive movement (on the left).

Ok I am getting preachy again and I really was trying not too. Even though we eat meat only once or twice a week and that I have got some chicken and goat in my freezer it will not last to long and I need a local supply. I am really looking for a source for chickens, I will gladly slaughter and clean them myself if some one can provide me with some. I will even pay in advance for them. We do not want any deer meat because Kristina is still venisoned out from last years harvest but turkey would be fine. So any one that is within 100 miles of Tallassee or Decatur give me a shout if you know where I can get some chickens or turkey's.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with this. I'm having a hell of a time doing likewise here in Mississippi. I can't even find good tasting eggs. I'm so much less concerned with organic only because, although you might not farm with inorganics, your neighbor who shares your watershed is over there pumping Monsanto-based products all over creation. Some of that has to spill over.

    We do eat meat at pretty much every meal. I'm soy allergic so that option is right out for us.

    Frankly, dude, this world is scaring the hell out of me. Not to the point of inaction but the proliferation of asshole-dom makes me kinda ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out www.localharvest.org it is a great resource for finding CSA's and small farms in your area

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darryl, you already know that we can get some turkeys from Hartselle. Just call them tomorrow from work and see if you can pick any up when you are up that way this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame you're not closer! I raise chickens in Columbus, Ohio, and offer a CSA: http://frijolitofarm.com/csa.php

    You say you're willing to process chickens yourself...is raising them yourself an option?

    By the way, hi! I found you through The Archdruid Report. Your mention of working at a university police department caught my attention, as I used to do the same. By the looks of what I see here, it seems we share a lot of opinions, too. I'm going to start following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now, growing our own chickens is not an option, but that is something that we are working on

    ReplyDelete